Author Darrel DJOHNSTON, link topic : PCLinuxOS Edu
Produced by: Melodie, Crow and the testers with their chlidren. Theme by Timeth, built on a wallpaper made by Ruel24.
User Level: Children
Info: PCLinuxOS Education is constructed around the window manager Openbox and a few additional programs, to form what is an extremely fast-performing and energy-saving desktop environment. Maintained by an international community of developers, it comes with a beautiful interface, multi-language support, standard keyboard short cuts and additional features like tabbed file browsing. Openbox uses less CPU and less RAM than other environments. It runs especially well on computers with low hardware specifications, such as netbooks, mobile devices (e.g. MIDs) or older computers.
- Kernel 22.214.171.124-bfs kernel for maximum desktop performance.
- Full Openbox Desktop.
- Nvidia driver support. ATI fglrx can be added later.
- Multimedia playback support for many popular formats.
- Wireless support for many network devices.
- Printer support for many local and networked printer devices.
- Addlocale allows you to convert PCLinuxOS into over 60 languages.
- LibreOfficeManager can install Libre Office supporting over 100 languages.
- OOo4Kids Manager can install OpenOffice For Kids in 17 languages.
GCompris – a high quality educational software suite comprising of numerous activities for children aged 2 to 10
Some of the activities are game orientated, but nonetheless still educational. Below you can find a list of categories with some of the activities available in that category.
- computer discovery: keyboard, mouse, different mouse gesture, …
- algebra: table memory, enumeration, double entry table, mirror image, …
- science: the canal lock, the water cycle, the submarine, electric simulation …
- geography: place the country on the map
- games: chess, memory, connect 4, oware, sudoku …
- reading: reading practice
- other: learn to tell time, puzzle of famous paintings, vector drawing, cartoon making, …
Currently GCompris offers in excess of 100 activities and more are being developed. GCompris is free software, that means that you can adapt it to your own needs, improve it and, most importantly, share it with children everywhere.
Childsplay – a collection of educational activities for young children and runs on Windows, OSX, and Linux. Childsplay can be used at home, kindergartens and pre-schools. A fun and safe way to let young children use the computer and at the same time teach them a little math, letters of the alphabeth, spelling, eye-hand coordination etc.
Childsplay is part of the schoolsplay.org project.
Omnitux – The project aims to provide various educational activities around multimedia elements (images, sounds, texts)
Types of activities
Associations, items to place on a map or a schema, counting activities, puzzles, card faces to remember…
Multiple languages support :
Available for Linux and Microsoft Windows.
- Gamine : the game for the youngest. Starting age of 18 months when your child starts climbing on your knees and messing around your desktop with the mouse, hop ! Start Gamine, and the child will have colorful shapes and music reacting to the moves of the mouse, leaving your desktop alone, and discovering that the move of the mouse has an action !
- gTans : A tangram game offering plenty of possibilities, and very configurable
- Tuxtype : to learn and improve typing while feeding Tux
- Tux Paint : to draw and paint. A set of thumbs are installed, more can be installed later
- TuxMathScrabble : a game to learn maths while playing scrabble with Tux
- Scratch – An astounding programming language for everyone. While building stories and scenes, you will learn and teach development to young children, and many projects which can be downloaded for use can be found at the main site. Scratch: Create interactive stories, games, music and art – and share them online.
- Okawix – Okawix is an offline reader that allow you to download the content of Wikimedia projects, with or without pictures, in order to then access it offline. (Okawix’s library includes the 253 languages of the various projects of the Wikimedia Foundation such as Wikipedia, Wikisource, Wiktionary, Wikiquote, Wikibooks).
- Labyrinth – mind mapping
Other programs included
- Firefox- Web Browser
- PCmanFM – File and Desktop Manager
- Evince – Document viewer
- VLC – media player for nearly any kind of multimedia format
- DeadBeef – music player
- MTPaint and MTPaint Screenshot – Painting and Screenshot Program
- Viewnior – Graphic Viewing Program
- File-Roller – Archive manager
- Gnomebaker – CD/DVD Burning Program
- Leafpad – Light Text Editor
- Geany – Text Editor with syntax highlighting
- PCLinuxOS Control Center
- Synaptic package manager
- Obconf – Openbox Configuration Manager
12,000 additional programs available from our Synaptic Software Manager after installation to your computer.
- Processor : Modern Intel or AMD processor.
- Memory & storage : RAM : 384 MB minimum, 1 GB recommended.
- Hard disk : 3 GB minimum, 10 GB or more recommended if you plan to install additional software from our repository.
- Video card : nVidia, ATI, Intel, SiS, Matrox, VIA.
- 3D desktop support requires a 3D instructions set compatible card.
- Sound card : Any Sound Blaster, AC97 or HDA compatible card.
- Other : CD/DVD drive required or PC capable of booting from USB
Normal user is school and password is school.
To install to hard drive, login as user root at the login screen. Password is root.
Second version, special Christmas
This version brings a few new things, such as start speed greatly enhance for Gcompris in the Live CD, additional codecs to use video DVD’s in VLC, and Xsnow which lets the snow fall on the screen, for the greatest pleasure of the children. Xsnow is a program which last version dates of 2001, however… it works !
See on the following pics how it goes
Special menu preferences and effects
Snow is falling, Santa Klaus goes by with his sledge pulled by the reindeers and while gusts of wind are blowing !
See this post about enhanced security on internal partitions. http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php/topic,96316.0.html
PCLinuxOS Edu is not available in the repositories. Please download it from here:
PCLinuxOS Education (please get the latest version along with the md5sum file).